Monday, February 10, 2014

Well, Here I Am



Good day everyone,

   Just so you are tracking, I will soon be leaving the Army after seven years of honorable service. The reason is not by choice: unfortunately, I suffered a serious back injury during an airborne accident while I was going through the Civil Affairs Q-Course. After many months of treatment, Army doctors decided that my injury would not improve over time, and I was recommended for a Medical Board. Shortly after, I was found unfit and am now waiting on administrative stuff so I can begin to final out. Heck, I already turned in all my Army-issued gear. That was a sad day.
   At first the news was devastating: I worked so hard for so long to get to where I was in the Army. Not only was I close to earning my rocker (SSG, E-6; I would have been promoted upon graduating the Q-Course), but my dreams of becoming a Special Operations Soldier was in my grasp. Also, I was shooting for my 20. I had planned to retire in 13 years!
   But after several months of waiting in limbo, I'm now beginning to get over the shock of everything and am ready to move on with my life. My short-term plans are to get out of the military, move my family and our household goods to our home in Florida, and to find suitable employment. My long-term goals are to continue to adapt to civilian life and to continue (more aggressively than I have been) to write and market my books. All of this being said, I have a lot on my mind.

   Key take-aways: You can't change what you can't control, and everything happens for a reason. If you find yourself in a similar situation, just remember that you ARE NOT alone. You ARE NOT a failure because you can no longer do some of the things you used to enjoy. And most importantly, you ARE NOT a failure because you are unable to continue your military service. I have to remind myself these things every single day. There are many important things in life which need your attention, like your family, friends and YOURSELF. Take care of yourself--body, mind and soul.

   That's all I wanted to say for now. Hopefully someone out there will find this inspirational.

   By the way, I'm going to take this opportunity to show off my Army awards and achievements. ;)

My Digital Shadow Box (as of Feb 2014)

Thanks for reading,
SGT Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment